Skip Navigation to Main Content
About Dave Hewett
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth:
- Harrow, London.
History & Education
Back to Top of Page
- Commenced Certificate in Education, Wall Hall College, Aldenham, Watford, Herts.
- Main course: English Literature. Education course orientated to Secondary English.
- College voluntary work stimulated interest in pupils with special needs.
- Awarded Certificate in Education, University of East Anglia.
- Appointed teacher Scale 1, Watling View School (ESNS), St. Albans, Herts.
- Appointed teacher Scale 1, Haldens School, Welwyn Garden City, Herts.
- Haldens School served Cell Barnes Hospital and virtually all of the school population were students offering challenging behaviour.
- Appointed Deputy Headteacher, Harperbury Hospital School Radlett, Herts.
- Harperbury School was on the campus of Harperbury Hospital, and specialised in working with residents who are particularly challenging.
- Appointed Headteacher, Harperbury Hospital School.
- Commenced one-year full-time Advanced Diploma course at Cambridge Institute of Education
- Special interests studied: Communication before speech, autism, challenging behaviour, pre-lingual deafness and its effects on behaviour, F.E. provision for people with severe and complex learning disabilties.
- First publication: 'Understanding Experience', Cambridge Institute of Education magazine.
- Returned to Harperbury Hospital School.
- First conference as speaker: 'Interactive Approaches to the Education of Children with Severe Learning Difficulties', Westhill College, Birmingham.
- First journal publication: 'Interaction as Curriculum', British Journal of Special Education.
- Enrolled at Cambridge Institute of Education to study for M.Phil.
- Upgraded M.Phil to study for Ph.D. on Intensive Interaction - towards a methodology for enhancing sociability and communication abilities in people with severe and complex and sever and profound learning difficulties.
- Left post at Harperbury Hospital School.
- Spoke on 'Intensive Interaction' at ISEC (with Melanie Nind) - International Special Education Congress, Cardiff.
- 1991 - Present day
- I have been giving workshops, training, lectures and consultancy continuously all over Britain for four years. I am able to organise my time for writing and to continue my researches. I continue to develop my work on research and evaluation methodology. All of the consultancy and training I offer is in the area of communication, behaviour and challenging behaviour among people with learning disabilities, together with teamwork and management issues for staff working in this field.
- Publication of 'Access to Communication' (with Melanie Nind).
- 'Access to Communication' 'highly commended' in Times Educational Supplement/NASEN Special Educational Needs book awards.
- Passed Ph.D. - The Cambridge Institute of Education/University of East Anglia
- Publication of 'Positive Approaches to Challenging Behaviour' (with John Harris).
- Publication of 'Interaction in Action' (with Melanie Nind).
- Publication of 'Challenging Behaviour Principles and Practices'.
- Publication of 'a Practical Guide to Intensive Interaction' (with Melanie Nind)
- Publication of 'Access to Communication (2nd edition)
Examples of courses:
Back to Top of Page
- Lecturing at Cambridge Institute of Education
- Lecturing at University of Birmingham School of Education
- All establishments for people with learning disabilities, Hertfordshire Social Services
- All establishments for people with learning disabilities, Cumbria Social Services
- All establishments for people with learning disabilities, Barnet Social Services
- All establishments, the MacIntyre Trust.
- All schools for pupils with severe learning disabilities, South Humberside.
- All ward staff of Behaviourally Disturbed Unit, Leavesden Hospital.
- BIMH Conference, Harlow,
- All schools for pupils with severe learning disabilities, East Sussex.
- All establishments for people with learning disabilities, Barking and Dagenham Social Services
- All staff of establishments for people with learning disabilities, Humberside Social Services.
- Halliwick College - courses on challenging behaviour for all staff
- Courses on communication and challenging behaviour for staff of all schools for pupils with learning disabilities, Bromley Education Authority.
- Courses for staff in health authority establishments in Greater Manchester
courses for RNID
- North Thames Health Authority Regional Secure Unit - courses for staff on 'Coping with Violence'
- All schools for pupils with severe learning disabilities, Cambridgeshire Education Authority.
consultancy in Special schools in Newcastle and Sunderland
- All schools for pupils with severe learning difficulties, Cleveland.
- Courses for all staff working with people with learning difficulties, Somerset Social Services
- Courses for all staff working with people with learning difficulties, East Herts Regional College
- Courses for Social Services Staff, Galway, Republic of Ireland 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005
- Courses for Social Services and Health Authority Staff, Guernsey
- Course for Speech and Language Therapists, University College London, 1999
- Courses for staff of SLD schools in Belfast, 2001-05
- Frequent courses for ICAN
- Courses at Sunfield PDC, Clent
- Courses at Queen's University, Belfast 2003, 2005
- Courses for London University Institute of Education, 2003, 2004
Back to Top of Page
- Speaker (with Melanie Nind) at a conference at Westhill
College Birmingham: 'Interactive approaches to the Education of
Children with Severe Learning Difficulties.'
- Conference National Portage Association
- BIMH conference Meldreth, Cambs
- University of Northumbria at Newcastle,
- Keynote speaker Mencap conference Manchester
- Keynote speaker RNIB conference, Redhill
- SKILL Conference, Leeds
- Special schools conference Merseyside Education Authority
- Keynote speaker Conference of National Special Interest
Group of Occupational Therapists in Learning Disabilities,
- Keynote speaker Conference on Communication for People with
Learning Disabilities, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Keynote speaker, conference 'Children Who Challenge Us',
Oxfordshire Early Years Service
- Keynote speaker ICAN conference
- Speaker at Merseyside Special Schools conference
- Keynote speaker Birmingham University Summer School Conference
- Keynote speaker at Autism conference, Hester Adrian Research Centre, Manchester
- Keynote speaker ENB conference for nurses qualified in learning disability, Leicester
- Keynote speaker, Early Years Conference, London University Institute of Education
- Keynote speaker, autism conference Leicester
- ASSERT conference, Loughborough
- Keynote speaker BILD: GAP conference
- Keynote speaker Intensive Interaction Conference Leeds
- RETT Syndrome Association Conference
- International Early Intervention Conference (Sunfield PDC), Birmingham